Intuit QuickBooks comes various different templates that you can use for invoices, estimates, credit memos, sales orders, purchase orders, sales receipts, statements and packing. You can also customize them all as per your requirement. However, sometimes you may face some issues while using customized templates. If you are also facing the same issue then you have come to the right place as this article will help you to troubleshoot common issues when using customizing templates.
You need to read the article properly and then perform the provided steps to resolve issues that you face while emailing, opening, printing or saving forms as PDF. You can also contact us at QuickBooks Customer Service Number +1888-396-0208 toll-free to resolve your issues instantly.
Common Issues While Using And Customizing Templates
Invoice or Statement forms print without lines or borders around fields
The preferences in QuickBooks Printer setup tells you whether or not lines or borders print. These preferences can be set by a particular form, so you may have lines and borders printing on some forms and not on others.
Change the printer setup preferences for a form by following the below mentioned steps:
- Go to File and select Printer Setup
- Select the required form from the Form drop-down list.
- Click on Blank Paper from the Print On section
- Unmark the Do not print lines around each field and click on OK
Emailed invoices have garbled text or a corrupt appearance
Sometimes the invoice sent as s PDF may look strange. It might appear to be typed a misaligned typewriter. You need to change the font of text in the invoice to avoid such issues:
- Open the Basic Customization window and then select Layout Designer
- Right-click on the corrupted text and from the drop-down list, select Properties.
- Click on the Font and then change it. Also adjust the size, bolding as per your requirement
Note: Cambria generally is default font but you can select another font also.
- Repeat the same steps for all the affected text and then click on OK
- Save the invoice as a PDF document and check its appearance.
Due to an error, the template was not exported
If you’ve received an error message while exporting a custom template for a form that you created with QuickBooks. The error may say:
The custom template you are exporting may have a logo or image attached to the file.
Delete the attached logo/image from the custom template that you are trying to export:
- Open the company file that has the template you are trying to export.
- From the List menu, select Templates
- Right-click on the template that you want to export and then click on Edit Template
- Unmark the Use Logo box and then select
Error C=291 when importing a form template
While importing a form template, you receive the error message:
An error has occurred in QuickBooks. Please restart QuickBooks and try again. If you continue to experience this error, please note the C=value and contact technical support. C=291
You also get the following warning message:
Due to an error, the template was not imported. This may be because the template type used to store this template is incompatible with the template type being used to read it.
QuickBooks Error C=291 occurs due to the damaged form template or it can also occur if you are importing the form template from a newer version of QuickBooks.
If you’ve created the template in a newer version of QuickBooks and you want a copy of it in an older version then you have to recreate the whole template manually.
Unable to print custom invoice templates using QuickBooks for Mac
If you are printing invoices in which you have used custom templates and you get message that the page is printing but nothing happens actually. It can happen due to the damaged QuickBooks Desktop or Layout Designer.
You need to delete and rebuild damaged preferences file:
- Create a backup of the company file.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop and all its related processes using the task manager.
- Double-tap on the hard drive icon on the desktop.
- Go to Users > [UserName] > Library > Preferences.
- Drag and drop the intuit.quickbooks.plist and com.intuit.layoutdesigner.plist files to the Trash can.
- Run the QuickBooks Desktop, then restore the backup of the company file.
- Create a new customized invoice and save it with a different name.
- Print customized invoices using the newly created template.
The invoice does not save your Customized Invoice Template as the default
If you use a template on an invoice and you create another invoice then generally the regular template will show-up again. It is a default setting but it can be changed by going into the Invoice Template drop-down.
Re-sort the template list:
- Re-sort the template list
- Go to List > Templates > View > Re-sort List
- Click on OK.
- Save the customized template preference again:
- Select Customers > Create Invoices
- Make a new test invoice and then select your template
- Select Save & New.
- Select Customers > Create Invoices to check if your template option is set as default.
NOTE: You can click on the back button or press Ctrl + D from your keyboard to remove the invoice.
- Test a different default template
- Select Customers > Create Invoices
- Make a new test invoice, using a standard template.
- Click on the Template drop-down menu
- Select “Intuit” templates listed.
- Provide Customer and Item info on the Invoice.
- Click on Save & Close.
- Select Customers > Create Invoices to make sure that the “Intuit” template option is now the default selection.
Note: The invoice can be removed later by clicking the back button or pressing the Ctrl + D keys.
If the same Invoice Template appeared then probably your customized Invoice Template is damaged. You can restore the backup if you’ve created one when the customized template worked. If restoring the backup isn’t helpful when you need to recreate your customized template.
You are trying to customize a sales form by resizing the long text field through the Layout Designer. But the long text field gets disappeared from all pages except the last. You need to use a Text Box to enter the information needed:
- Open the invoice and go to Formatting
- Click on Customize Data Layout.
- Select Layout Designer and click on Add
- Click on Text Box.
- Enter the information that you want to show on the form.
- Resize the field to display all the entered information and then click OK to save the changes.
- Click on Print Preview to see the appearance of the text box on the form after printing.
- Close the Print Preview window and select OK.
Insufficient data for an image error
If you face this error while emailing, printing, or saving a form as PDF, then there are possibilities that an image on the form template is damaged or broken. You need to convert the image format using an image editing program in order to fix the issue properly.
- Navigate to List > Templates
- Double-tap on the template which is having issue
- Select the Layout Designer.
- Delete the image and then click on OK.
- Open the damaged image on any photo editing software
- Save the image as a different image type. For example, change it to .JPG if the original image type is .BMP.
- Go back in the QuickBooks software and open the template and re-add the image using the Layout Designer. Customize and resize as needed.
- Try emailing, saving, or printing again.
If the error is still around then you need to get in touch with the customer support department of Intuit. For this, you need to dial the toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1888-396-0208 and you will be connected to the Intuit certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors who will help you in resolving the error.