QuickBooks is one of the most recommended and highly rated software for small and medium-sized businesses. The data that consist the all the financial information of your business is called the QuickBooks Company file and QuickBooks saves this file with .QBW extension. The company file is considered as the soul of your business. This is the reason why we recommend you to create a backup of your company file on a regular basis. Sometimes, you may face some issues when you are Unable To Restore A Backup Of QuickBooks Company File that you created earlier for the safeguard of your data.
If you are also facing the same issue then you don’t have to worry as this article will help you in troubleshooting the unable to restore a backup issue. If you need an instant resolution then you can get in touch with the QuickBooks Enterprise Support Phone Number +1888-396-0208 toll-free.
You may face the following error messages while restoring a backup that you have created:
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove the log file
Causes Of Unable To Restore Backup Issues
- You have included some special characters (@, #, $, %, *) in the Company file name.
- You are trying to restore a backup over an existing company file.
- Backup was restored from a portable drive to a network drive
- The backup was made in a newer version. Example: Backup was created in the version 2016 and now you are trying to restore it in the version 2017 or 18 of QuickBooks.
- The file you are trying to restore is not a backup file.
- Company file is either corrupted or missing.
Resolve QuickBooks Data Restore Issues
We have mentioned multiple solutions for the issue according to the causes. We recommend you to perform the steps sequence wise. Steps to resolve the issue are as given below:
Solution 1: Remove special characters ( / \ < > ! $ ) from the file name for your company file
- Go to the folder where you have stored the backup file.
- Locate the file and right click on the same
- From the drop-down list, click on Rename
- Now remove all the special characters from the name.
Solution 2: Avoid overwriting an existing file when you restore your backup
- When you are asked to save file, browse to your standard location and then click on Save.
- If a file with the same name already exists in that location then you will get a confirmation message: The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?
- Click on No.
- Enter a different and unique name and then click on Save.
Solution 3: Copy your backup from your flash drive or network drive before restoring it
Insert the flash drive in your system or if you are on a network system then go to the folder where the backup file is stored. Copy the file and paste it on your local computer and then try to restore the backup. Intuit has recommended copying your backup file to your desktop before restoring it because it keeps the backup file safe.
Solution 4: Copy a backup file to a new folder before restoring it
Sometimes you may face issues because the folder where the backup file is located gets corrupted. Because of this, you are not allowed to restore the backup. You can need to go to the folder, copy the backup file and restore it to a new folder and then try to restore the backup.
Solution 5: Use the same or newer version of QuickBooks when restoring your backup
Intuit allows you to restore a backup to a newer version of QuickBooks but you can’t do it to an older version. This is because when you update your QuickBooks to a newer version the file structure also gets updated that does not support the backup file.
Example: You can restore a backup from QuickBooks version 2018 in the version 2019 but you can’t restore a backup from QuickBooks version 2019 in the version 2018.
Solution 6: Repair your company file
The error can also occur if the company file is damaged. In such situations, you need to perform the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility feature of QuickBooks.
Reach Us For Support
The provided steps will easily take you out from the issues that you are facing while restoring a backup. However, if you are still not able to restore the backup or you are not able to understand any of the steps then you can get in touch with us by dialing our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1888-396-0208.
You can also get in touch with us through the QuickBooks Live Chat Support where you can chat online with our Intuit ProAdvisors and get solution for your issues.