Are your facing performance issues in your QuickBooks Desktop? Well, it might be happening due to low system configuration. This article will help you to optimize your server and workstations to resolve QuickBooks Desktop performance issues. You can also get in touch with us at QuickBooks Customer Service Phone Number +1888-398-0208 to avail instant support for your issues.
|We have created a dedicated article series for the QuickBooks Desktop performance issues. This is Part 1 of the series.
Enhance Your Computers
QuickBooks doesn’t require a heavy system configuration and it generally supports most of QuickBooks users. If your system fulfills basic specification but you still face performance issue then you can increase your RAM.
To get an idea about the RAM required for QuickBooks processes, multiply the file size in GB by the number of users in the network. If the file size is 500 MB and you have 6 users on a network then you require 3 GB of RAM in your server. If you have less than 2 GB of RAM then you need to upgrade it to 3 GB or higher.
- Increase Virtual Memory of a system to 2 GB plus 2 GB for all major applications running on your system.
- The Virtual Memory to should be running on an internal hard drive.
- If your server contains multiple internal hard drives then you need to save files on one drive and the VM on a different drive.
A program running during the time when QuickBooks is also running is known as a competing program. Every competing program uses RAM and processor capacity. You can see the memory consumed by programs from Task Manager.
- Close all running processes on your system. This enables your Windows to assign more RAM to QuickBooks and it will run smoothly.
- If a competing program couldn’t be closed then you need to move QuickBooks to another system.
- Some systems run too many processes on the Domain Server for QuickBooks to run it properly. You can try to move QuickBooks to another server and use it from there.
- If your server contains four sockets for RAM and two of them are occupied with 1 GB RAM each then you add two 1 GB or higher DRAM in the available sockets.
- Replace your existing RAM to higher ones.
- Increase RAM in local workstations.
- Make sure that you don’t upgrade RAM more than your system’s limit.
Upgrade Your Operating System
If upgrading RAM didn’t increase QuickBooks’ performance then you can try to upgrade your operating system. Older versions of operating systems have a limited capacity of supporting RAMs whereas newer versions support a higher amount of RAMs.
You need to follow the below-mentioned steps if you’ve decided to upgrade your server or workstation:
- The computer that stores all QuickBooks company file should be a true server not a service like Dropbox.
- Use all the RAM slots with highest-capacity chips.
- A 64-bit computer & operating system.
- Fast clock speed which should be 2.2 GHz or more.
- A fast hard drive rotational speed, e.g., 7,500 or 10,000 rpm, or an SSD.
- A fast Network Interface. A 1 Gigabit per second (Gbps) card on your server can increase bandwidth.
If you use QuickBooks on a terminal server environment then you can assume the RAM amount on the server in two ways:
- You require 0.5 GB of RAM for each user. If 5 users are connected with the server then you require minimum of 2.5 GB of RAM.
- The second way is:
- For 5 users, you need 2-3 GB addressable RAM
- For 10 users, you need 3-4 GB addressable RAM
- For 15 users, you need 4-6 GB addressable RAM
- For 20 users, you need 6-8 GB addressable RAM
Note: Intuit supports Terminal Services can only be used for QuickBooks Enterprise solutions.
Where To Store Your Data File
- Storing your company file to a proper location can also affect the performance of QuickBooks.
- The most recommended location set up a folder for QuickBooks data files is: C:\QBData\filename.qbw.
- You also have to move the whole data folder if you are moving the data files
Use A Networked Computer
- Save your company files on an internal drive in a local system connected on the network.
- Use an external drive to create a backup of your files.
- Don’t use a Network Attached Storage (NAS) drive. QuickBooks for Windows OS by default stores file a system with a Windows Operating System or with a Windows compatible SAMBA share.
- QuickBooks work with a server that runs a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks). We don’t advise you to use them because QuickBooks generally faces performance issues with them.
If you are not having a properly dedicated host or server then use below-mentioned criteria to decide which workstation should be used to save the file. Save your data file on the workstation that:
- Complete QuickBooks program should be installed on it.
- The system should be used by the user who does most work in QuickBooks.
- Has a sufficient amount of RAM.
- Has the best and fastest clock speed.
- Has the least non-QuickBooks activity.
Your Data Folder
QuickBooks uses the default locations while creating or moving company files and that is: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
Optimize Your Network Interface Card (NIC) Settings
View And Edit Your NIC Settings
If you have duplex mismatches then Network interface card settings can slow down the transfer rate. A duplex mismatch can occur while a NIC is set to particular link speed and duplex and it is connected to a NIC set to another value. A mismatch reduces your bandwidth to a few Megabits per second. You need reset your entire NIC’s Link Speed and Duplex with an automatic setting:
- Open Control Panel from Start
- Double-tap on System and then go to Hardware
- Select Device Manager.
- Expand the Network Adapter list by clicking on the + icon available next to it.
- Right-tap the NIC and click on Properties from the drop-down.
- Go to the Advanced
- Click on Link Speed & Duplex option from the Property section (the option can be slightly different but it will be similar to it).
- From the Value drop-down, click on Auto
- Click on OK and close the window.
Reach Us For Support
The provided solutions should allow you get rid of the performance issues of QuickBooks Desktop. Well, these steps can be utilized even if you are not facing performance issues but you want your QuickBooks to run smoother. However, if you are still facing the performance issues even after performing provided solutions then first, we recommend you to read and perform steps provided in both part of the article. If you still face issues then you can get in touch with us at our toll-free QuickBooks Tech Support Phone Number +1888-396-0208 and avail technical support services for all your QuickBooks issues.