Do you want to move your QuickBooks Company files from one computer to another? Well, this article will help you to do so. Moving your company file can be helpful for you in case if your current system crashes suddenly or if you want to upgrade your system. Moving your company files won’t affect your QuickBooks Desktop license and you can use the company files the way you were using it on the earlier system. If you want to move both your product and company file then you need to use the Migrator Tool section.
Important Points To Remember
- Before moving your files, QuickBooks must be installed on the new computer.
- Rename your company file on the previous system to avoid using the wrong file.
- You must not overwrite your company file. Instead of it, you can rename the file before restoring a copy because overwriting your file with the wrong copy may lead to the data loss.
- If you also use QuickBooks payroll then you need to download the latest tax table update after moving your company file.
Method 1: Backup And Restore Your File
- Create a backup of your company file on the old computer
- Transfer the backup file to your new system
- Restore the backup on your new computer.
Restore customer templates and forms missing from a restored backup
Data from add-ons, such as Loan Manager, must not be included from the backup depending on their original location. Customer templates and forms missing from a restored backup separately can be restored if you want. Follow the below steps to do so:
- Go to the folder Restored_CompanyName_Files from the system where you restored the backup file.
- Copy all the files that you want and paste it to the desired location. The Restored_[Company Name]_Files folder can contain any of the following files that need to be copied manually:
|QuickBooks Letters and Templates||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\QuickBooks Letter Templates|
|Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FSD\Clients
Note: For Windows 7, the path is C:\Program Data\Intuit\
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\FSD\Data|
|Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Business Planner (.bpw)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Loan Manager (.lmr)||[Company Name].qbw|
Method 2: Move The Entire QuickBooks Data Folder
Even if you don’t backup your file, you can still move it easily. Your database won’t get affected if you move all the folders but in case if some files are not carried over, you can restore it later.
- Identify the file location
- If the file is open: Press the F2 key and note down the actual location of your company file.
- If the file is closed: Run QuickBooks and you will see file oath in the No Company Open window.
- Go to the folder of the file right click on it
- Select Copy from the drop down list and paste the folder in a portable drive
- Connect the drive on your new system and paste the folder on it
- Run QuickBooks and open the same company file.
Method 3: Restore Using Intuit Data Protect
Intuit Data Protect (IDP) helps your data to restore easily. However, some non-QuickBooks files may not be backed up.
- Create a Back up of your company file on the previous computer
- Sign in to IDP on your new system
- Restore the backup file using IDP
The following files are transferred and restored:
File inside QuickBooks data folder:
- Logos and images files
- Transaction log (.tlg) files
- Network data (.nd) files
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp) files
- Loan Manager (.lmr) files
- Business Planner (.bpw) files (QuickBooks Desktop Premier and Enterprise only)
Files (and add-ons) from other locations:
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Spell checker
- Fixed Asset Manager
- Printer setting (These files can be recreated by QuickBooks)
- QuickBooks Statement Writer (Premier Accountant and Enterprise only)
QuickBooks Data Transfer Services
The above-mentioned steps will help you in moving the company files from one computer to another. In case, if you face any kind of issue during this process you can get the data services from the technical support department of getsupportnumber.com. You just need to dial the toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-567-0425.