Do you want to reinstall or move QuickBooks to a different system? Well, following the steps in this article will help you to do so. However, if you require an instant support for reinstalling or moving QuickBooks to another computer then you can get connected with the Intuit QuickBooks Support department.
|If you are on a US version of QuickBooks then you can use the Migrator Tool as well. It helps you in moving your program and your files without much efforts. This tool comes with 2019 version be default.|
Reinstall Or Move Your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- You should have your product and license information with you.
- Before you try to reinstall QuickBooks, you need to uninstall all the existing QuickBooks programs.
- Download the installation file or insert the CD on the system where you want to install QuickBooks.
- Install QuickBooks by following the appropriate method. You can see reinstall QuickBooks for detailed instructions.
FAQs Related To Reinstalling Or Moving An Existing Installation
What If I Don’t Have My CD?
If you have the license number or product number of QuickBooks but require an installation file then you can download the appropriate version of QuickBooks by clicking on the following link:
What If I Don’t Have My License And Product Numbers?
You can visit: Find Missing QuickBooks License Or Product Number
Will I Need To Register QuickBooks After I Reinstall Or Move It?
If the installation to another system then you will have to re-register.
- From the main menu, go to Help > Register QuickBooks to initiate the process.
- Provide the zip/ZIP code of your business and other information. Now, Intuit will identify that your QuickBooks copy is already registered and it will also record the registration information for the new system.
Note: You won’t require any registration if you reinstall QuickBooks on a system where QuickBooks was installed previously. QuickBooks will automatically identify that your copy of QuickBooks is already registered and you won’t be asked to register again.
What About My Company File(s)?
- When you move your QuickBooks installation, it doesn’t move your company file. See Move your company file from your old computer to your new computer.
- Overwriting a QuickBooks installation doesn’t affect your QuickBooks company files. You can easily access your files using a reinstalled copy of QuickBooks.
Move QuickBooks Desktop Using The Migrator Tool
Now, the QuickBooks Desktop version and company files can easily be move in a few clicks using the Migrator tool.
How The Tool Works
- You should have the administrator’s right to use Move QuickBooks Tool.
- You need to create a strong and complex password to unlock all the transferred data to the new computer.
- Note down the password somewhere or create a password that you won’t forget. You are required to enter this password only once.
- This tool is efficient to copy up to the last 3 company files opened to a USB flash drive.
- You can use the USB flash drive to move the files physically but this migrator tool does all the technical tasks on its own.
- The tool will download the correct version of QuickBooks to your new system and sets it up with your files.
- This tool doesn’t reformat your drive or erase any other files in your current or old PC.
What You’ll Need
- You should have an active internet connection.
- A USB flash drive
What Gets Copied?
The tool copies all your data which is required to run QuickBooks properly on the system. All your data will be kept away from any effect.
The tool DOES copy:
- QuickBooks Desktop details that contain the version & other information to install QuickBooks Desktop on your new computer.
- Recent company files that include the last 3 company files opened by you in the old system.
- Related files, custom templates & forms
- QuickBooks letters and templates
- Scheduled & memorized reports
- Local attachments
- Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)
- Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)
- Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)
- Business Planner (.bpw)
- Loan Manager (.lmr)
- Statement writer (for QuickBooks Accountant)
- Advanced reports (for QuickBooks Enterprise)
The tool does NOT copy:
- Multi-user setup: The configuration of a multi-user setup will not be copied to the new system.
- Payroll & payment setup: If the payroll or payment services are set up on your old system then you have to log in again in the new system. It is important for the safeguard of your important financial data.
- Intuit Data Protect (IDP): If you use Intuit Data Protect on your old system then you have to uninstall it from the there and then sign in again on a new system. All the previously created backup will still be accessible.
- Files from the previous system that were not accessed won’t get copied. QuickBooks only copies the 3 most recently accessed files. Other files need to be moved manually or restored using Intuit Data Protect,
- Backup files: Any manual backups that you created will not be copied.
Note: For additional information, you can see How to transfer QuickBooks license?
Moving Your Program And Files
On the old computer:
- From the main menu, go to File > Utilities > Move QuickBooks to another computer.
- Click on I’m Ready and then create a one-time password.
- Select the USB flash drive and then wait until all the files get pasted in the drive.
On the new computer:
- Insert the same USB flash drive.
- Run the bat from your flash drive and then enter the one-time password you created.
- Click on Let’s go.
- Wait for the process to get finished.
Note: The process may take some time depending on the speed of your system and an internet connection, and the file size.
Once the process finishes, all the files will automatically get deleted from your flash drive. Your company files will remain on your previous system. It is highly recommended to use changes in the name of your files on the old system to make sure that you don’t use a wrong file.
What To Do Next
The tool copies almost every important files and information but there still some information that doesn’t get copied and you have to do additional tasks to run QuickBooks on the new system properly.
Depending on what you have on the old computer, you may need to:
- Sign in to your payroll & payment services on the new system.
- Sign in to Intuit Data Protect (IDP) and set up your backup schedule
- Move any additional company files from the old system to the new one.
- Create a backup of your company file and then restore it to the new system.
Technical Support For QuickBooks
Reinstalling QuickBooks can be very helpful for you in resolving various errors and issues in QuickBooks. You can have a better idea about it by contacting us at QuickBooks Error Support Phone Number +1805-900-6410.
Hopefully, you are now able to move or reinstall your QuickBooks software to a new system. However, it can be a bit complex process for many users and facing issues during the process is common. If you are having any kind of issues or you want to avoid the issue, you can contact us at our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1805-900-6410 and get support from the certified ProAdvisors of QuickBooks.