Have you received the “Company File Use” error message when you try to open your QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode? Well this is just another common company file issue that you may come across. You usually get this error when your QuickBooks company file is being used by another application. This error is also known as the locked file errors in QuickBooks Desktop.
You may come across the following error messages while opening your QuickBooks Company File:
- Company File in use. Please wait.
- Only one user at a time is allowed to do (a task).
- Another QuickBooks user is currently performing a task which must finish before you can continue.
- Sorry, you cannot change this (transaction) now. (Another user) is currently doing a task that uses that in this transaction.
- The automatic entry of (transactions) is being skipped because (another user) is accessing them.
If you are getting any of the errors on your company file, there’s nothing much to worry about. It doesn’t mean that your QuickBooks Company File is damaged or corrupted. In this article, we will be helping you to resolve the QuickBooks company file in use error.
If the error says another user is doing something
Usually, you get such errors when another user is performing a task in the same company file that you are trying to open. Most of the time the error is faced in multi-user mode of QuickBooks.
In such situations, you are suggested using the company file once the other user is done with the task. You can identify the user who is using your QuickBooks company file and ask them to close it.
If you are sure that the error is not occurring because of another user, you can go to other solutions.
If the error consistently refers to a specific user
This error basically indicates that one of the users is having some issues. If anyone of them is currently not working on QuickBooks, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Ask the user to close and reopen QuickBooks on their workstation.
- Run QuickBooks on another workstation. From the Company menu, choose Users and then View Users.
- Ask the user which is mentioned on the error message to sign out of the QuickBooks company file.
- Checkout the users list again. If that user doesn’t show up on the list, the error should get resolved. If the error is still showing up in the list, you can perform steps provided for the following error.
If the error says “Waiting for company file” or “Company File in Use. Please Wait”
These error messages are associated with the performance issues of QuickBooks Desktop. The performance issue may include network issues, database issues, conflicting programs, or a server or workstation that doesn’t not have required configurations. You can go through the following articles to resolve the issue:
- Resolve QuickBooks Desktop performance issues: Manage your computers
- Resolve QuickBooks Desktop performance issues: Manage your data file
If the error appears on multiple workstations
Solution 1: Check for multiple host computers and stop hosting on all workstations
- Run QuickBooks and from the main menu, choose File > Utilities.
- If you see Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, click on Yes.
- If you see the Host Multi-User Access option, jump to the 2nd step directly.
- Close QuickBooks.
- Do the same for each connected workstation and make sure none of them are hosting company files.
- Run QuickBooks and perform the same task that caused the error. If the same error is around, go to the next step.
Solution 2: Stop and restart QuickBooks services on the server
- Sign into the server and make sure other workstations are not working.
- Open the Run command by pressing Windows + R keys.
- In the search field, type services.msc and click on OK.
- From the Name section, choose QuickBooksDBXX. The selected option depends on the version of QuickBooks you are using:
- Click on Stop. Note: This will end all users’ access to the company file.
- Click on the Start option. This will allow other users to access your QuickBooks company file.
- Run QuickBooks and perform the same task that caused the error. If the error is still around, go to the next step.
Solution 3: Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server
The QuickBooks Tool Hub is a collection of tools that can be used to fix common QuickBooks errors. You need to perform the following steps to resolve the error.
- Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub on your system and then run it.
- Go to the Program Problems tab.
- Use all the tools available in the tab one by one. Once you are done with the process, perform the same task that caused error.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks on the server
You need to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using a clean install tool on the server and then on each workstation.
If the error persists on only one workstation
You get this error on one of the connected workstations. There are chances that the error might be occurring because of QuickBooks or Windows permissions. You need to follow the steps mentioned below:
Solution 1: Create a new user in QuickBooks
- From the main menu, choose Company > Users > Set up Users and Roles.
- Go to the Users and Roles screen and select New. You need to add a name under the User Name field. You can also add and confirm a password if you want.
- Go to the Roles screen and choose a role. Choose Add and then OK.
- You can make additional changes in the role from the Role List tab and select the Edit option. You can add or reassign permissions as required. Click on OK to save changes.
- From the Users and Roles screen, select Close.
- Log out from QuickBooks on current workstation. Now, sign in to the same workstation using a newly created user. Make sure that the user has required access to your QuickBooks company file.
- Perform the same task that caused error.
Solution 2: Create a new Windows user with admin rights
Create windows user with admin rights.
- Log into the newly created Windows user.
- From the desktop, right-click on the QB icon and then select Run as administrator. This will help you in performing various tasks on the workstation without any hassle.
Technical Assistance For QuickBooks Errors & Issues
The provided solutions should help you with the solution for Locked file errors in QuickBooks desktop. These are basic and usual errors in QuickBooks and can easily be resolved with the provided steps. However, if you couldn’t resolve the errors with provided solutions, you can use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool to resolve data damage issues in QuickBooks. You can also dial our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-324-6955 for instant help for QuickBooks Desktop.