This article will help you to find QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files and that will be helpful for you in identifying the cause of certain errors in your company file. All the errors in your QuickBooks Company File are basically get recorded in the log file.
QuickBooks Desktop stores program messages and errors that contain information created by verify and rebuild and Condense Data utilities in a particular file. In Windows OS, the file is known as the QBWin.log and in Mac, it is known as QuickBooks.log.
Note: Errors such as “IsQBInUseLockFilePresentAndLocked…LCK can’t be found. Error = 2” in QBWin.log doesn’t indicate the data damage and should not be considered as one while resolving data damage.
QuickBooks for Windows
All the QB versions has their own QBWin.log. Whenever you run QuickBooks, the old QBWin.log file gets renamed and replaced by a new file.
- If there’s a single installation of QuickBooks on your system, then you need to follow the Option 1.
- If the files or folders couldn’t be located in the default path, then you will have to display hidden files and folders. For this, you can visit: Set Up Folder And Windows Access Permissions To Share Company Files.
Access QBWin.log On A Local Computer
Option 1: Access QBWin.log from QuickBooks Product Information screen
- Press the F2 key on your keyboard while being on the Home page to open the Product Information
- Press the F3 or Ctrl+2 to open the Tech Help
- Now, go to the Open File
- Choose log and then click on Open File. Quick tip: Press the Ctrl + F and then type “Begin Verify” to locate the latest entry of Begin Verify on your log file.
Option 2: Access the QBWin.log in Windows
Navigate to the folder where the QBWin.log file is located. Usually the location is: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks\log\XX.X\QBWin.log
In the above path, XX.X refers to the version of your QuickBooks.
Tip: You can go to this location in a faster way by typing %localappdata%\Intuit\QuickBooks\log\XX.X\QBWin.log in your folder address bar.
Access QBWin.log On Rights Networks Or Other Hosted Environment
For QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier users:
- Go to Start menu of your Hosted or Terminal environment and then click on Computer.
- From the search bar, type log. Don’t press the Enter key or click the magnifying glass icon.
- You will get a QBWin.logs will pop-up on your screen. You need to locate the QBWin.log file with the latest timestamp.
For QuickBooks Enterprise Solution users:
- From the home screen of QuickBooks, press the F2 key or CTRL + 1 keys to open the Product Information window.
- Now, open the Tech Help window by pressing the F3 or Ctrl+2.
- Go to the Open File tab and click on log.
- Click on Open File.
QuickBooks for Mac
- There are no separate and delineated sections for Verify or Rebuild log in the Mac OS.
- The QuickBooks.log file is automatically generated for every user.
- QuickBooks for Mac doesn’t create a new log file whenever you run QuickBooks like the Windows OS.
Access the Quickbooks.log in OSX 10.7 or later.
- Click on Go to Folder from the Go
- Type in ~/Library.
- From the Logs folder, open the QuickBooks
- Double-click on the log file.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Desktop
The provided steps should allow you to access the QBWin.log file in both the operating system. This log file can be very useful for you because it tells you what all errors you are facing in your QuickBooks Company Files. It allows you to identify the following error messages:
- QuickBooks Error 6000, 77
- QuickBooks Error 6000, 83
- QuickBooks Error 6150
- QuickBooks Error 6144, 82
- QuickBooks Error 6144, 304
- QuickBooks Error 6000, 80
- QuickBooks Error 6000, 82
All these and other company file errors can be found the log file along with the causes due to which the error is occurring. You should be able to tackle the error with ease. However, there are several errors associated with the log file as well. In case if you are not able to locate your log file or you are having some issues while opening it then you can contact us at our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-324-6955 to get instant support for your QuickBooks errors and issues.