This article will provide you the guidance to create or restore a QuickBooks Portable company file (.qbm).
What is a QuickBooks Desktop portable company file?
- A portable file is a compact copy of your company data that can be transferred through email or any portable device.
- Letters, logos, images, and templates can’t be included in the portable company files
- The portable file doesn’t contain a transaction log file
- It is an efficient way to fix the data issues because QuickBooks Desktop re-indexes the data after restoring a portable company file.
Before you go onto the steps, here are some key points that need to remember:
- Make sure your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release.
- You must be logged into your QuickBooks software with administrator rights to make and return a portable copy. If you share a portable copy to someone, they will be able to get access to all the sections of QuickBooks and they will also be able to add or change your transactions and change your admin password.
- If you are resolving data issues then you must not overwrite the original file during the process of restoring the portable copy. You can rename the original file before restoring the portable company file.
- If you are sending your company file to your accountant consider using an accountant’s copy
How To Create or Restore a Portable Company File
Create a portable company file
- Open QuickBooks and go to the File > Create Copy
- Click on Portable company file and then click on Next
- Select the folder where you want to save the portable copy.
- Click on Save and then OK
Restore portable company file
- Go to the File menu and then select Open or Restore Company
- Click on Restore a portable file and then select Next
- Click on portable copy and then choose Open
- Select the location where you want to restore the file and then select Next
- Click on Save
Loan Manager, FAM or QuickBooks Statement Writer information is not restored with the portable file.
You won’t be able to run the Loan manager, Fixed Asset Manager or QuickBooks Statement Writer information if you restore the portable company on a different computer where the company file is not saved. To work in such scenarios, you need to copy the folders and files to the current company file location.
Loan Manager: Copy the .lmr file, which is labeled as [CompanyName].lmr, to the current location of your company file then restore it.
Fixed Asset Manager: Copy all the files from the folder specified below to the current location of your company file then restore it.
- QuickBooks 2018: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM17\clients
- QuickBooks 2017: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM16\clients
- QuickBooks 2016: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM15\clients
Unable to create or restore a portable company file
Solution 1: Copy the QuickBooks company file on the desktop
- Once your file is saved, open the folder
- Highlight the .qbm file and press CTRL + C to copy the file.
- Go to your desktop and press CTRL + V to paste the file
- Press and hold the CTRL key and double click on the QuickBooks icon to get the No Company Open
- Try to create or restore the portable file
Solution 2: Try to work on a sample company file
- From the No Company Open window, click on Open a Sample File
- Create a portable copy through the sample company file and save it on your desktop
- Go to File and click on Close Company/Logoff
- Try to restore the portable copy of the sample file that you saved on the desktop
Technical Support For QuickBooks Company File
The above-mentioned steps will allow you to create or restore the QuickBooks portable company files. This article will also help you to resolve the issues that you are facing while creating or restoring the QuickBooks company files. However, if you still face the same issue then you can get in touch with the technical support department of getsupportnumber.com by dialing their toll-free QuickBooks Customer Support Phone Number +1800-567-0425.