Are you planning to switch from the Quicken accounting software to the QuickBooks Desktop? QuickBooks Desktop comes with an option to convert your data from other accounting software to QuickBooks. It comes with two basic ways to begin with the the conversion process and they are as follow:
- Convert directly to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Use the Quicken converter.
If you use Quicken Converter
- You just have to run the Quicken Converter when the Quicken version is not parallel to the QuickBooks Desktop.
- You are not required to use Quicken Converter when the Quicken version is parallel to the QuickBooks Desktop version. You can directly convert data through the QuickBooks Conversion utility.
- Quicken for Mac: Quicken for Mac for Mac doesn’t support conversion with Quicken Converter and QuickBooks Conversion Utility. If you use Quicken for Mac, you need to convert your data file in Quicken for Windows in the first place or you can create a new company file as well.
Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks
Use the Quicken Converter
Before you run the tool, you need to ensure that there is only one version installed. If there are multiple installations, you need to uninstall it and install the correct version.
- Download the Quicken Converter tool that is corresponding to your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Quicken 2021 Converter
- Quicken 2020 Converter
- Quicken 2019 Converter
- Quicken 2018 Converter
- Install and convert.
- Run the Quicken Converter setup file and then click on Next.
- Click on I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then select Next.
- Click on Next and then Install to initiate the installation process.
- Click on Launch Quicken Converter, then Finish.
- Select the I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows option and then click on Get Started.
- Choose Open a data file located on this computer and then Select File.
- Select the Quicken file (.QDF) file and click on OK.
- Choose Convert it! option, then click on OK.
- Click on Save to save your new Quicken Data File and then select Exit.
Once the file is upgraded, you are all set to initiate conversion through the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks.
Look for .QDF, not .QFX
You will be shown that the tool is creating a .QFX file, but it creates a .QDF file as well. This is the actual converted file that you want. You need to locate the .QDF file in a folder named Q18Files or Q17Files, that has the similar location that your original Quicken file has. The .QDF file also contains the same name as your original Quicken file.
Use the Conversion Utility
You can convert your Quicken file through the Conversion Utility in QuickBooks Desktop. For this, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- From the main menu, go to File > Utilities > Convert.
- Now, choose the From Quicken option.
- Choose the Quicken file (.QDF) you wish to convert.
- You will get required prompts from the Conversion Utility for the rest of the conversion.
You can have more information regarding the Conversion Utility by pressing F1 to open the Help window in QuickBooks Desktop.
Data migration is considered as one of the most complex processes in QuickBooks Desktop. In case you also face any issue during the process, you can avail the QuickBooks Data Migration service. Our QuickBooks Data Services team will help you in migrating your Quicken data to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop.