The process of converting QuickBooks Desktop for Mac file to a QuickBooks Desktop for windows or vice versa is known as Round Tripping. This process is essential because both the platform uses different types of databases and the Accountant’s Copy feature isn’t available in the Mac Version of QuickBooks Desktop. So, sometimes it’s get important to convert a QuickBooks Mac file to QuickBooks Windows and back again. You can also get in touch with the Intuit QuickBooks Support team via toll-free number +1800-324-6955 to get instant data services for your QuickBooks software.
Converting a QuickBooks Mac file to the Windows version is a bit complex task and if you don’t perform the process properly then you may end up losing your entire data. We advise you to perform the steps manually only if you have good knowledge of QuickBooks otherwise you can look out for the technical support at QuickBooks Customer Service Phone Number +1800-324-0308 toll-free.
What Are The Restrictions In This Process?
- You required the Admin password to initiate the process
- You are asked to change the current password in-between then you need to use the new password all throughout the process so that you don’t get confused.
- Both, QuickBooks for Windows and QuickBooks for Mac should be the same year version.
- You must not update QuickBooks Desktop for Mac once you create a backup for Windows.
- Avoid entering data into the QuickBooks for Mac file during the conversion process because you will have to re-enter the data when you receive your file back.
- Don’t process payroll in QuickBooks for Windows version of the file. The entered payroll data will get lost when you will convert the file back to QuickBooks for Mac because the Mac version of QuickBooks does not have internal payroll.
- The QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions can’t be round-tripped because it doesn’t produce a QuickBooks Desktop for Mac backup.
Prepare Your QuickBooks Desktop For Mac File For Conversion
- Update the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest release
- Check out the name of the company file and make sure that there are no special characters such as !@#$%^&*. If there are any, remove them all.
- Check out the memos and make sure that none of their names contains more than 50 characters or containing special characters such as !@#$%^&*.
- Go Reports > Customer Transaction Detail Report
- From the Modify Report window, click on the Dates drop-down list and then select
- From Columns, click on Memo and then select OK to run the report.
- Remove the memos that contain more than 50 words or special characters. If you find these memos important then you can also rename them.
- Remove all the memorized transactions and memorized reports
- Re-sort lists
- Rebuild and Verify your company data files
Convert Your Mac Company File To a Windows File
- Open the QuickBooks company file in the Mac version
- Make a copy of your company file for Windows by going into File > Utilities > Export > To QuickBooks for Windows.
- Give a name and location to the file and click on Save
- Rename the QuickBooks company file so that it does not get overwritten when it is returned.
- Transfer the backup to the Windows system
- Restore the backup on the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
- Go to File > Open or Restore Company > Restore a backup copy
- Click on Next
- Select Local backup and then click on Next
- Navigate to the location where you have saved the backup and click on Open
- If you asked to update the file to the new version, click on Yes and then
Convert Your Windows Company File To a Mac File
- Update your QuickBooks to the latest release or connect with us for QuickBooks Upgrade Support.
- Open the QuickBooks Company File and Re-sort lists.
- Use rebuild and verify your QuickBooks company data
- Go to File > Utilities > Copy Company File for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- Save the file to a specific location. The file will be saved with MAC.qbb extension.
- Transfer the copy to the Mac OS.
- Restore the backup file by following the below-mentioned steps:
- From the No Company Open window, click on Browse and then select the file you want to restore.
- Click on OK if you get any confirmation message.
- Provide a name and location to the company file and click on
Errors That Can Occur While Conversion
Cannot open the file in Windows
You may get the following error codes while opening the file in the Windows Operating System.
- Error C=116
- Error (-14113, 0)
You can resolve this error by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the file in Mac system and Re-sort list
- Use the Verify and Rebuild utility to resolve the errors
- Try to convert the files again.
Cannot open the file in Mac after updating QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
You can receive the following error message while opening the file in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac:
Can’t Import the round trip file. This file was originally created with another version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Please import it into the version with which it was created.
Resolve this error by following the provided steps:
- Download and reinstall your previous version and release of QuickBooks
- Restore the backup from Windows.
- Convert your restored data file to the newer release of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Unrecoverable Error when updating a QuickBooks for Mac file to QuickBooks for Windows
If you get the unrecoverable error while conversion then you can follow the below-mentioned steps to resolve it:
- Restore a backup (.dmg) in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Note: If you couldn’t restore the backup then you need perform basic data damage troubleshooting on your company file.
- Create a new backup file for Windows.
- Create a new folder on your Windows Desktop.
- Copy and paste the new backup file (.qbb) to the newly created folder.
- Save the restored company file on the new folder of your Windows Desktop.
Hopefully, this article was helpful for you and you were able to convert a QuickBooks Mac file to QuickBooks Windows and back again. We have also provided the solution steps to resolve the issues in case if you face any kind of error while performing the process. However, if you keep on facing the errors then you can get in touch with us at our QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-324-6955 and get instant resolution for your QuickBooks file conversion issues.