In this article, we will be discussing about converting your QuickBooks Company File from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows.
Switching from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows doesn’t require you to start over. You just need to convert the Mac company file to Windows properly and you are ready to use the file from the point you left. In case you are not sure about converting your data from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows, you can connect with our QuickBooks Data Services team for QuickBooks Migration Services.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks
- Choose Check for QuickBooks Updates from the QuickBooks ▼ drop-down menu,.
- If there’s a newer version is available, click on Install Update.
- Click on Install and Relaunch when you are asked.
- Once the update finishes, QuickBooks for Mac will open automatically.
Get your company file ready
Remove all the memos that have 50+ characters or contains special characters such as !@#$%^&*
Search for memos with special characters in them
- From the Reports menu, select Custom Transaction Detail Report.
- Now, select All Dates from the Dates drop-down options.
- Double-click on the transaction with a memo to open it.
- Remove all the special characters available in the memo field and then click on Save.
- Close the transaction.
- Do this for all other transactions.
- Re-sort your lists.
- Use the verify and rebuild utility on your company file. From the main menu, go to File > Utilities and the select Verify Data.
Step 3: Convert your company file
- Run your QuickBooks company file with admin rights. From the main menu, go to File > Export > To QuickBooks for Windows.
- If you are asked to verify before creating a backup, click on Verify.
- Provide a name to the file and choose the folder to save your file there. Click on Save. Note: Ensure that there is no special characters added in the file name.
- Enter and confirm the password and click on OK.
- On the confirmation window, click on OK.
- Save that file to your Windows computer. Usually, users save the file on a USB flash drive, cloud storage, or email if the file is not too large.
- Restore your backup file in QuickBooks for Windows.
If you send your Mac file to your accountants who use Windows Us and they send it back to you, this is called round-tripping.
More About Round-tripping
Round tripping is when the file is converted from QuickBooks for Mac to QuickBooks for Windows and then returned to Mac.
- Your accountant has Windows OS.
- You convert the Mac to file Windows.
- Your company file is sent from your side so that the changes can be made from them.
- Finally, you convert the file again to Mac.
- Hang on the QuickBooks update until you receive the file back.
- Make sure you don’t enter any new information after sending the file to your accountant. This will ensure that you don’t lose any records when the file comes back to you.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Desktop
Following the steps offered in this article will surely be helpful for you in Converting a QuickBooks for Mac file to QuickBooks for windows. However, there can be situations when you can face some complexities during the process. In such situations, you need to get connected with our data services team by dialing our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-567-0425 to get instant solution for your issues.