QuickBooks is leading accounting software that comes with various tools to make accounting easy and more accurate. But, there are so many error codes and issues in QuickBooks software that can be a bit frustrating for you. One such issue is Error: Cannot Communicate With The Company File Due To Firewall that generally caused due to the improper settings of Windows firewall.
The error pops up with the following error message:
Error: Cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall
Causes Of This Communication Error
- A third party firewall installed on the network.
- Lost connection with the server
- The server configured inappropriately.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running or installed on the server.
Resolving The Error
Steps to resolve Error: Cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall are as follow:
Solution 1: Use The File Doctor Tool
- Go to the official website of Intuit
- Download the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- Perform a clean installation of the tool.
- Run the tool and it will automatically scan and troubleshoot the issues.
- Once the process finishes, restart your system.
Solution 2: Manual Network Troubleshooting
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Configure Windows and third party firewall
- Go to the Windows Firewall settings in your system
- Intuit can’t provide firewall related troubleshooting steps because there are various security software available in the market. Please check with your developer’s website how to add exemptions needed by QuickBooks.
- Check folder permissions
- Go to Set folder permission to share company files to check that folder permissions are appropriate.
- Go to the Set up folder and Windows access permission to share company file to get detailed instructions to set permissions are appropriate.
- Create the Network Data (ND) file
Network Data or .nd file contains information related to the computer that hosts the QuickBooks company file. This file is automatically created when you scan the folder or open your company file.
- Go to the Start menu and type QuickBooks Database Server Manager and hit enter.
Quick tip: If the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not available in the program list then you need to uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks software. You need to select I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, AND I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network to install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Once the Database Server Manager opens, click on Add Folder for going to the location the folder that contains company file.
- Click on Scan once you add all the folders.
- The company files will be visible in the QuickBooks company files found section after the scan.
- Go to the location of the company file and make sure .ND files must be created for each data file
Turn off hosting in all Workstations:
- Open QuickBooks and go to File > Utilities > Stop Hosting Multi User Access
- If the Host Multi-User Access visible instead of Stop Hosting Multi User Access then it means the multi-user access is already turned off.
- Click on Yes on the confirmation message.
Hosting on the server computer must be turned on. To do so, follow:
- Open the Task Manager
- In the Processes column, find QBDBMgrN.exe
Quick tip: Click the column heading to alphabetize the list.
- If you can’t find exe, make sure that QuickBooksXX service is running on your server.
Note: You may need to log in as the system administrator to perform the following steps.
- Open the run command by pressing Windows + R
- Type services.msc and hit enter.
- Locate the corresponding QuickBooksDBXX of your QuickBooks. Example: QuickBooks 2017: QuickBooksDB27, QuickBooks 2016: QuickBooksDB26
- The startup type should be Automatic and it is currently running.
- In the QBDBMgrN.exe row, verify that the entry in the User Name is correct. The user name depends on your QuickBooks version.
- Example: QuickBooks Desktop 2017: QBDataServiceUser27, QuickBooks Desktop 2016: QBDataServiceUser26
Technical Support For QuickBooks
The above-mentioned steps will help you in resolving cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall manually. However, if the error is still around then you can get in touch with our QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1805-900-6410 toll-free.